Edition: April / 2018Thinking Green With Your Packaging
May is just around the corner, and that means that "Earth Month" is almost behind us. As April is coming to a close, we wanted to share some helpful tips that you can integrate into your packaging to remain eco-friendly all year long!
- Analyze the type of boxes your company uses. One common theory we run across in the packaging field is "It's better to be safe than sorry". Although this can be true for some cases, it's a good idea to look at the packaging material your company uses on a regular basis. Examination may reveal that you are using more material (and spending more than you need) on your packaging products. For example, you may be purchasing doublewall boxes, when a singlewall box may do; or you may be using a large quantity of paper cushioning, when a biodegradable loose fill or inflatable bag may be the best option.
- Consider using 32 ECT boxes as opposed to 200# boxes. The boxes perform the same in most situations, but 32 ECT uses less material.
- Recycle & re-use your packaging. There are many ways to adopt a "recycling mindset" beyond simply putting the paper, plastic and glass items in a separate recycling bin. See how your company can start using less material by re-using packaging products. Consider saving any small boxes that are shipped to your warehouse and offices, and re-use them to ship other small items out. Also, if you ship items consistently between your company's warehouses, consider the use of more durable plastic cartons that can be reused for years. This will cut down on the amount of packaging materials used, and decrease your packaging costs as well.
- Consider switching to biodegradable and products made from 100% recycled materials. We offer many products that areeco-friendly, and can help you implement this change, including:
- Minigrip Greenline Bags: Biodegradable
- Corrugated Boxes: Recyclable
- Corrugated Pads: Recyclable
- Chipboard Cartons: Made from recycled content (except for white coating)
- Recycled Foam Rolls: Contains a minimum of 90 percent recycled PE plastic content.
- Biodegradable Loose Fill: Biodegradable
- Kraft Paper Rolls & Sheets: Made from 100% recycled content
- Bogus Kraft Paper Rolls: Made from recycled fibers and newsprint
- Newsprint: Made from 100% recycled content
- Versa-Pak Cellulose Wadding: Recyclable
- Singleface Corrugated: Recyclable
- Edge Protectors & Strapping Protectors: Reusable & Recyclable
- Recycled Wood Pallets: Made from recycled wood
- Honeycomb Pallet Runners: Recyclable & biodegradable
- Environmental Packing List Envelopes: Made from 100% recycled polyethylene & manufactured using solar energy
Interested in seeing what changes can be made in your company?
Our goal is to raise $10,000 for WHS over the next 4 years. If you want to help kickoff the new program today, we welcome your donations!
Thank you for your generosity!See Our Progress
The Wisconsin Humane Society is committed to providing protection, shelter, and care for wild and homeless animals. Because of generous donors, they are able to rescue, rehabilitate, and rehome thousands of animals like me every year!Learn More
Get the kids involved too!
Got an animal-loving kid? From birthday parties and Kids-Night-Out to awesome summer camps, WI Humane Society has programs for kids of all ages at the Milwaukee, Racine, and Ozaukee Campuses.Fun Programs